December 29, 2008

You'll love me for this...

The other night I made one of our favorite meals for dinner. I can hardly stand to have a great recipe and not share it with everyone, so here I am, pasting it to the ol' blog. This one is pretty famous among those who know my mom, and it's pretty much the best when it comes to fool-proof yummy home cooking. We have it at least twice a month, and we always keep the ingredients on hand (they're all very basic) so we can whip up a batch whenever we are in need of something that reminds us of home. Or something that is just so yummy you can't stand it.

Don't be afraid. Baked Mac-n-Cheese is so easy, you'll be giving up Kraft in no time.
I've included some yummy pictures to tempt you. Your hubby will love you forever.
Best Ever In the Whole Wide World Mac-n-Cheese
2 T. Corn Starch
1 t. Salt
1/2 t. Dry Ground Mustard
1/4 t. Pepper
2 1/2 C. Milk
2 T. Butter
2 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
8 oz. (2 C.) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium heat. Once mixture starts to bubble (boil) allow it to continue for 1 minute. Remove sauce from heat and stir in shredded cheese. Combine with macaroni in an oven proof dish. Bake at 375 degrees until the top is a little bit brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

Notes:
-I added ham to the batch I made on Sunday night. It's super yummy, and I wanted to use up some of the left over ham from Christmas. Be warned that if you put ham in the mac and cheese, it will be a little bit more runny because ham retains a lot of water that comes out in the cooking process. Just let it cool and everything will firm back up, but it looks a little different than when you just make it the regular way.
-I almost always double this recipe. If it's just for a side and there aren't many of you, one will be enough, but the leftovers are sooooo good, it never goes bad if you make a little extra.
I guarantee you will love this. Just try it! It's the best comfort food, and so easy and basic.





(Justin can't help but to swipe a taste)





On another note, I am starting a new blog. I'm going to maintain this one as our personal stuff. Updates about us, pictures, etc. The other blog will be where I post the random things like recipes, craft projects, etc. We'll see where it goes, but I think it will be more fun and less confusing to separate my posts between the two blogs. I may, in the future, consider making our blog here private so just our friends and family can view it, but for now I don't think that's neccessary. I'm just going to try this and see how it works.


For now it looks very similar to this one because I haven't had time to double-post yet, but hopefully it will evolve into something much better. Let me know what you think!!!


P.S. I just can't stand the cuteness. Sorry.

3 comments:

Jen, Jenny, Jennifer said...

Okay, so the mac and cheese looks pretty good. I will have to try it. I love your new header photo. Did you get a new camera for Christmas? Your most recent pictures look really nice.

Manda McDaniel said...

Thanks! No, I really want a new camera, but I've just been experimenting a little with some natural sunlight. We have a big window in our living room that gets great light during the day, so when I come home for my lunch break, I've been getting out the camera and trying some things. Thanks though!!

Anonymous said...

When I am old and wrapped up in a blanket in my big comfy chair with a kitty keeping my feet warm..will you make me this? There is nothing like comfort food. And this one tops the charts! You are a girl after my own heart!