November 4, 2008

Delicious Potato Soup

I'm sitting at my desk, listening to Christmas music on my lunch break, and guess what I'm eating!?! Yummy, delicious, amazing Potato Soup I made for dinner last night. I figured I'd share the recipe, although on second thought, it's not much of a recipe.

I guess this will give you more insight into how I cook. Hope it's disciferable.

Potato Soup (adapted from my mom's recipe)

Start a large pot with about 2 inches of water in it, boiling.

Wash and "chunk" 6-8 medium red potatoes. Leave the skins on, and throw them in the pot once it starts boiling.

I leave the lid off, and let the water boil off as they cook. If the water level gets too low, you may need to add more.

Chop up 2 large carrots, in to 1/4 inch pieces, and throw em in the pot with the potatoes.

When the potatoes are almost all the way cooked, I let the water boil down a bit further, but never far enough that they start to burn. This part doesn't really matter, I just like a higher milk:water ratio while leaving the soup thick.

When the potatoes are borderline mushy, but not, turn off the stove.

Add milk to just barely cover the potatoes.

Add 4 large handfuls of freshly graded white cheddar cheese

Add 2 t. dried parsley, 1 t. dried chives, 1/2 t. Garlic Powder, a good amout of pepper, and 1/2-3/4 t. salt.

Stir it up, and Enjoy!

I hope I didn't forget anything. Really, this is the easiest soup ever. Just add things that you think will taste yummy, following this general outline. The only thing that could make it better would be crumbled bacon on top!

Let me know if you try it!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh yum! I'll have to try that!

Edlin said...

ben and i were thinking that we should hang out soon!! i would give you a call instead of leaving a message but i lost your number. lame, i know, but i am horrible with technology (especially cell phones). anywho, when would be a good time?

Amanda said...

Yum! That sounds really good in this snowy weather. I should buy some potatoes and give this a try. Thanks!