January 19, 2010

This is Good: Corn Chowder with Fennel

I made this last Thursday night for dinner, and it was yummy. I'm getting exponentially closer to the Corn Chowder recipe I have been searching for all these years.

I adapted it from a recipe in February's issue of Real Simple.

Corn Chowder with Fennel

2 Leeks, white and light green parts chopped

1 fennel bulb, chopped (it's also called Anise, so don't get confused.)

Salt and Pepper

1 16-oz. can Chicken Broth

3 C whole milk

1 lb potatoes, cut to 1/2 in. cubes (I recommend Yukon Golds for this, with the skins left on,

but reds would be OK too.)

1 10-oz. pkg frozen corn (I prefer shoe peg corn of course)

6 slices bacon


Cook the bacon until crisp in a large pot. Remove strips to drain. Reserve some of the grease.

In the reserved grease, cook leeks and fennel over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occassionally until vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes.

Add the chicken broth, milk, and potatoes, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occassionally for about 12 minutes. Add frozen corn and cook until the potatoes are tender, 3-5 minutes.

Top with crumbled bacon.


I really enjoyed this chowder. It's very mild, comforting, and just good. Nothing fancy, no fireworks coming from the bowl, but yummy, and homey, and filling. Justin liked it, and since he doesn't appreciate soup of most kinds, that should mean a lot. Also, it's a one pot meal, and comes together in about 30 minutes total. And most of the ingredients are ones I always have on hand.


I wanted to take a picture of it, but forgot, sat down, and ate almost my entire bowl before I remembered. So, here's the only one I have. It doesn't do it justice.

But don't take my word for it...

1 comment:

ma said...

Made it....loved it!