July 4, 2010

Oliver Lee

We came home from the hospital this evening, a bit early, but with Mom and Justin to take care of us, Ollie and I were ready for the comforts of home. For right now, we're all still completely exhausted, but I wanted to get a few more pictures of Ollie up here, and share our birth story.

Apparently my due date was last Friday, I had been thinking all along that it was Saturday for some reason, but honestly it was a very long week. I never really anticipated going past my due date, because my mom never did, but on Monday, I was still only dilated to a 1. We kept busy, but we were all just antsy the whole time, and I didn't really have the energy to do much.

I started having painful contractions on Wednesday morning around 2:30, and they continued throughout the day. They got to be under 10 minutes apart that evening, but then puttered out, back to pre-labor. Thursday afternoon, Justin decided (after 3 days of vaccuuming) that we needed a new vacuum, so we went to Best Buy and got ourselved a Dyson. Cabellas was having a law enforcement sale, so we went to Lehi and bought a gun case. My contractions were getting progressively stronger and closer together the whole time, and we could tell they weren't going to fizzle out this time.

Things started getting more serious around 7:30, and contractions became about 5 minutes apart and much stronger. Around 11:30 contractions were 3 minutes apart, and very strong, so we packed up and we went to the hospital.

I arrived and was dilated to a 3. They left me in triage for about 40 minutes, came back and I was a 4. By 4:00 I was fully dilated, and waiting for the Doctor so I could push. The doctor came in, and ruptured my amniotic sack because it was so bulgy, they couldn't feel the baby at all. Immediately he could tell that there was something wrong, and called for an ultrasound, which determined that Ollie was in breech position, and wasn't going to be able to be delivered vaginally. Additionally, the fluid was meconium stained, which was very worrisome to Justin and I. It was quickly apparent that this was an emergency, and they rushed me down the hall to the OR, simultaneously pumping huge amounts of drugs into an epidural.

I think I was administered about 5 or 6 times a normal epidural dose because they were anxious to get Ollie out of me as fast as possible. Justin was in the OR with me, and Mom was outside talking to my Dad on the phone. They were able to get O's legs and torso out relatively quickly, but his head, for some reason, was stuck. No one would tell me what was happening, and I wouldn't let Justin look, because I didn't want him to see me like that. We were both panicked, and it got worse when the doctors started practically climbing on top of me to get enough force to try and force his head out. It took them another few minutes, and finally, they pried him out of me. He didn't start breathing right away. They called code on him, but by the time the rest of the doctors got to the room to recussitate him, he let out the most beautiful little wail I've ever heard.

I didn't really get to see him, but Justin was able to sneak a few pictures in while they were cleaning him up. They whisked him off to the nursery, with Justin close behind, and put him on a C-Pap machine because he was still struggling to breath. He had an IV to help improve his circulation and fluid levels. I stayed in the OR for another 1/2 hour while they stitched me up, but it was another 2 hours before I was even able to see my little boy.

I would have to say without reservation that this was the worst experience of my entire life. Certainly the most painful, the scariest, and one of the most easily preventable. If my doctor had been a little more aware or attentive, we could have tried to turn him weeks ago, or scheduled a C-Section so I wouldn't have to go through the entire 10 cms of labor, and my baby wouldn't have had to go through such a traumatic labor experience.

At the same time though, it was of course the most wonderful day of our lives. We met our beautiful little boy, and despite the trauma, that is the biggest blessing I have ever experienced. He is perfect in every way.

Forgive us if we haven't called you, or returned a call. It's been a long weekend, and when we are a little more recovered, we will be so much better at getting in touch with you all. We are so grateful for all of your support though. It means so much to have so many wonderful people standing behind us.


alyssa said...

oh amanda that sounded so intense! i'm so grateful you and the baby were ok. ollie's is so handsome!!! congrats again girl! you're gonna be such a great mom

Rachel said...

Wow, what a story. I'm so glad he's okay. He is just beautiful (can I say that for a baby boy?). You have some really great pictures at the hospital. You'll treasure those forever.

Vallen Family said...

You are already home?! Look at you, already super mom! :) (And super dad and grandma :)) Ollie is beautiful, but of course you alread know that :)

mo mcd said...

He is so cute! I'm sorry your birth experience was so wild! Malcom had lots of water and was breech for a while on and off. When babies have extra fluid (hence the bulgy amniotic sac) they can turn much later than most babies can. Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out!

Megan @ The Healing Fork said...

Oh my goodness, Amanda, I'm going to have to say it again....Ollie is the cutest little guy ever! Enjoy that little sweetheart!

Michael and Kyndra said...

Oh Amanda I almost cried reading this! What a way to begin your life with Ollie. I'm glad you were feeling well enough to go home so soon, doesn't it feel so much better to be back in your own home? Ollie really is the cutest baby and you look absolutely beautiful in these pictures! I'd never guess you had just had a baby from the way you look.

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

Congrats on having the baby! I am so sorry you all had to go through such a traumatic experience! But I am glad to hear you and baby are ok. Good luck with everything!