October 8, 2009

Another one on the project list...

For the last week or so I've been really wanting a ruffled, jersy knit skirt. I was originally thinking something asymmetrical and flamenco-y, but then I saw this:

And possibly changed my mind. The biggest problem is that (wait. problemS ARE):

1)I don't know how to sew on jersey knits.
2)I've never sewn clothing, except this camisole I made, which turned out OK, but was super easy.
3) I don't have a serger. Do you have to hem knits? Will they run? Or can you just cut them, and sew a straight stitch along the edge (where there isn't stretching involved).
4) Does this look too witchy? I want it to be black, but I don't want to look halloweeny all year long
5)I don't have a pattern, and I'd be making it up.

Lots of problems, but that's never stopped me before.

I would want it to be a little longer, and A-line. If you've seen cuter ruffle skirts, leave me a link please, because I'm still looking around for ideas.

What do you think? I would SO love your opinion. And if anyone is adventurous and would like to try it with me and make their own, let me know! That would be so fun. We could be adventurous together.

Also, if you've been wondering why I haven't blogged much lately, I have a very gross, scabby, bloody picture I could show off to you, but I decided against it. I wanted to post it, because I'm pretty proud of my incision (I had foot surgery), but it kind of makes me want to pass out when I look at it, and it's my foot. I can't really imagine the reaction of someone that's squeamish.

But everything went well with the surgery, and I'm walking with a gangster limp. My cast came off on Monday, and the stitches some out this coming Monday. I have a sweet looking surgical boot, and I'm trying to avoid large dogs and small children, because they have magnets inside that attract them to my foot.

4 comments:

Em said...

I think it is cute! Go for it:skirts are fun to sew!
P.S. Heather has a surger!!!!!!

Vallen Family said...

Oh no it's my small kid who runs into your foot. When he bumped your foot yesterday I knew it was bad. I'm so sorry Amanda. What can I do to make it better? Well besides keep our distance :/ sorry. Btw Ethan was so excited that he has a boot just like you.

Manda McDaniel said...

No! Ethan is fine. It's mainly the dogs that have been problematic... I'm glad he could get a new cast and a boot! It's fun being twinners!!

aandkhousewright said...

remember when we sewed dresses/jumpers together once. oh yeah, and we made blankets together too... the good old days that will probably never be again :(