November 18, 2008

Soooo not funny, I know...

But in a way it is...
You Know You're From WV (or have lived there long enough) if:



They don't have shopping carts; they have buggies.
You can spell and pronounce words like Allegheny, Canaan, Monongalia, and Monongahela.
You know West Virginia is a separate state, not a part of Virginia.
You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "Where are you going to?"
Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
You know several people who have hit a deer.
Your school classes were canceled because of cold or heat.
You've ridden the school bus for an hour each way.
You've seen people wear bib overalls at funerals.
You've seen a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it; no matter what time of the year.
You know what "cow tipping" or "Possum Kicking" is.
Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with ice and snow.
You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
You cook green beans for hours.
You don't ever park your car without setting the emergency brake.
The local paper covers national and international headlines on one page but requires 6 pages for sports.
You think that deer season is a national holiday.
You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
You know all 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.
You know at least one couple who went to Virginia or Maryland to get married.
When you fry bologna, you know to cut the edges.

My favorites are obviously bolded. The fourth one is all time best.

I actually heard someone say once, "Come ere y'all three." It was imperative that the others knew that all three of them were needed.

And we always conveniently had "teacher work days" on the first day of hunting season. Ironic, eh?

And when I was in elementary school, we didn't always have AC. We got out a few days because it was hot, and of course always becaues it was cold.

I did ride the school bus an hour to school in 9th grade.

I've had a dear hit me. Not the otherway around. Came charging right at my door. I was driving on Cattail Run in Charlestown. Rather appropriate.

Tractors on a two lane road are pretty infuriating.

And everyone knows that if you don't cut bologna before you fry it, it curls. Now how would you fit that on a sandwich? Luckily I don't eat that poison.



Ahh, Good 'ol WV. I miss ye.



Now where's my lunch at?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love cooking my green beans to death.......don't forget the ham hock.....

Anonymous said...

So today in my Nutrition class, obesity was discussed and the teacher showed a diagram that showed Huntington as the most unhealthy town in America. I then foolishly responded to the Question "Do any of you live in West Virginia?" Let us say that the following 12 minutes consisted of the teacher asking me everything possible about West Virginians eating habits, and me regurgitating facts I picked up from my days at Food Dog. WV is the fattest state in Americuh. Rock on!!!!

Anonymous said...

So awesome. I love it. That's why living there makes me feel so good about myself!